Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019 Happy New Year!


Happy New Year to all who may still look in now and then! What with the holidays and various distractions weighing me down, I have not been posting very regularly, and what I have been posting has all been groups of pictures just plucked from my favorite sites. I used to at least try to put down my thoughts about various aspects of life and popular culture. I think that if I have a New Year's resolution involving this blog, it is to include one essay on something each week; or if not an essay, an observation. I'm feeling old, and weary, and my health is not the best, but I think I can at least do that.

In the meantime, I find New Year's (arbitrary as it might seem) to be a sort of rallying cry, a point of the year to look around and gather your spirits. You really do need it. You come out of the highs and lows of Christmas and look around at the bleakest part of the season, raising your head out of the trenches you have unwittingly set your path into, and have to think (you really should) about how you got in this rut and if there might not be a better path to take. Arbitrary? Perhaps, but better an arbitrary reminder to begin than no beginning at all.

No comments: