Monday, August 25, 2008

I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got: Part 2

Back in the day cereal and chips often had premiums to excite children and make them force their parents to buy comestibles they otherwise would have no interest in. I remember particularly when I was a wee child in the late 60's they had what we called "little animals" in a lot of Lays products, including an incredible set of silvery dinosaurs. And then there were Fritos.



Fritos went through a tumultuous period of change in their advertising icons. Their original spokescartoon, the "Frito Bandido", was deemed too racially insensitive, and had to go. Their next attempt, "W. C. Fritos", was shot down by the estate of the late comedian. Their last effort was a trio of non-descript "Anglo" bandits. All these characters were made as pencil toppers, as you can see above, and we had all of them. Their sculpting was a superb 3D rendering of the animation.

Had 'em. Enjoyed 'em. Do not need 'em.

1 comment:

AlanDP said...

I had W.C. and the Bandito. I had never even seen the blue one in the middle before this.