Wednesday, May 20, 2009

10 Books A Day: #32

Peter Pan...J. M. Barrie...Bantam Classic

The White Deer...James Thurber...Harbrace Paperbound Library

The Dragon Hoard...Tanith Lee...Ace Fantasy

A Book Dragon...Donn Kushner...Avon Fantasy

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...Roald Dahl...Bantam

Charlie and the Great Glass Elavator...Roald Dahl...Bantam

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen...Alan Garner...Del Rey

The Moon of Gomrath...Alan Garner...Del Rey

Elidor...Alan Garner...Del Rey

The Owl Service...Alan Garner...Del Rey



I first read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the old version, where the Oompa Loompas were a race of pygmy Africans (Look, little chocolate people!); they have since been edited in the book into a golden-haired, rosy-skinned race, or, in the '71 movie, orange-skinned and green-haired. The new movie actually comes closer to the original Oompa Loompa conception. When I checked the book out from the school library and was carrying it around everywhere reading it, I accidentally left it on the car roof while we were loading up. We drove off, the book was lost along the way, and Mom ended up having to pay the school for it.

I got the Alan Garner books back in '81 or '82, read them, liked them well enough, but have never had the urge to re-read them again all the way through since. The White Deer is full of Thurber's wonderful poetic wordplay; The Dragon Hoard is a delightfully whimsical tale, an opera buffa of a fairy tale; I must confess I have never been able to read A Book Dragon since I got it in '91, but haven't quite been able to part with it either.

I'm starting a new little thing with these lists. At the end of each I'm putting the total number of books catalogued so far. So today:

Book Count: 385.

1 comment:

AlanDP said...

The only thing I have by Tanith Lee is a collection of short stories that are more horrific than fantastical. They're pretty good. I don't recall the title at the moment.