Wednesday, June 10, 2009

10 Books A Day: #48

Good Omens...Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett...Berkley

The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy...Terry Pratchett...SFBC

The Bromeliad Trilogy...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

The Colour Of Magic...Terry Pratchett...St. Martin's Press

The Light Fantastic...Terry Pratchett...Colin Smythe Gerrards Cross

Hogfather...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

Thud!...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

Going Postal...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

Making Money...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

The Wee Free Men...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

A Hat Full Of Sky...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

Wintersmith...Terry Pratchett...Harper Tempest

Nation...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook...Terry Pratchett, et. al...Corgi Books

Where's My Cow?...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

The Wit And Wisdom Of Discworld...Terry Pratchett, Compiled by Stephen Briggs...Harper Collins

The Last Hero...Terry Pratchett...Harper Collins

The Art Of Discworld...Terry Pratchett & Paul Kidby

The Josh Kirby Discworld Portfolio...Josh Kirby...Paper Tiger

Secrets Of The Wee Free Men and Discworld...Carrie Pyykkonen & Linda Washington...St. Martin's Griffin


I first read Terry Pratchett completely by accident. It was the mid-80's, and I belonged to the Science Fiction Book Club. The Club will send you the two featured selections each month, if you do not send them a form cancelling them. Often through scatter-brainedness, laziness, or just plain being unable to get hold of a stamp I would miss the deadline, and get a couple of unasked for volumes. Well, I would try them out, and if I liked them, okay, and if not, I would sell them or pass them on to people who did want them. Terry Pratchett was one of my fortuitous finds, and getting The Colour Of Magic was one of the few times my disorganization actually worked in my favor. I've got many more Pratchett books in paperback, but since the hardback editions have become more available I always get them now, because I know I'll want them in more durable form and because I can't wait to read them.

Good Omens also qualifies as the first Neil Gaiman work (or at least co-production) I ever read. He does play well with others; you can see in yesterday's list how often he collaborates with other creators, whether novelists, screenplay authors, or graphic artists, although I think as far as writing goes this has seldom been so successful as in this book.

Although I think Paul Kidby is the best illustrator of Discworld, Josh Kirby is a sort of sentimental favorite; his ornate book covers were the first illustrations I ever saw of Discworld before Darrell K. Sweet took over. The Bromeliad Trilogy, Johnny Maxwell Trilogy, and Nation are all non-Discworld books, and I think go to prove that Pratchett would be an author to seek out even if he had never created the flat world on a turtle's back.

As for Secrets of the Wee Free Men...it's a load of old rubbish designed to piggyback off the popularity of the books; it is neither accurate, nor pertinent, nor as funny as it seems to think it is. Avoid it if you can. The best I can say about it is it is the sort of fascinating train wreck I take perverse horror in perusing, squealing with outrage or groaning in distress, thinking with pity that some poor inexperienced enthusiast might get hold of this and take it as gospel.

Book Count: 610.

No comments: