Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Death...But She's Got A Hat!!!

The Sandman's sister was at Z's Toys and More yesterday: Death of the Endless. I've been trying to track one down for a while, and Tom was able to get me one that is an actual variant to the one seen above: instead of an umbrella, however, she has a black hat. The picture above was the only one on the card. Perhaps when I finally get a camera I can have a line-up of the Sandman figures I have: the Sandman, Death, and Daniel, who takes Dream's place when he is destroyed at the end of the comic. I had an opportunity to get a Death some years ago, but since I hadn't read any of the comic and didn't know her character, I passed it by. I understand these toys are very popular with Goths, which may explain some of the difficulty of finding one.

From the card: "Death. Neither malevolent or merciful, a final visitor to all yet a friend to none, Death does her job in a fashion that is both comforting and matter-of-fact. It's a job she has done since the first living thing came into existence, and only when the last living thing has died will her work be complete. Until that distant day arrives, she will be there. Waiting. Includes ankh and umbrella."

Who can identify the quotation alluded to in the title of this post?

No comments: