Saturday, February 9, 2008

"Imperious Leader"

Today would have been the 46th birthday of my older brother, our "Imperious Leader" in many of our early playing and adventures. In honor of this day I offer this poem, quoted in Joseph Pearce's Literary Converts.

"My Body Is A Broken Toy"

My body is a broken toy
Which nobody can mend
Unfit for either play or ploy
My body is a broken toy;
But all things end.
The seige of Troy
Came one day to an end.
My body is a broken toy
Which nobody can mend.

My soul is an immortal toy
Which nobody can mar,
An instrument of praise and joy;
My soul is an immortal toy;
Though rusted from the world's alloy
It glitters like a star;
My soul is an immortal toy
Which nobody can mar.

Maurice Baring, 1937

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he would be very interested in your blog. it is weird how in a way he is still our Imperious Leader from beyond . j